Has the Lord asked you to do something that seemed illogical? Depriving you of something you loved? Radically challenging your obedience?
Yesterday as I was listening to Third Day’s latest CD. I remembered my first time.
A few months into my pursuit of an authentic, intimate relationship with Jesus. The Lord asked me to stop listening to alternative rock. Not in an audible voice. It was a thought that suddenly popped into my mind as I was driving. A thought no matter how hard I tried to ignore would not go away.
Listen to Christian music God? That music sucks!
For someone who was a fan of Creed, Nickelback and Live, listening to Christian music was truthfully— repulsive. Gospel… hymns… elevator music was not for my listening pleasure!
That Saturday my husband and I were in a Christian bookstore. While he was deciding which bible to buy, I was listening to music. When lo and behold, I heard something I like— Third Day’s Offerings— A Worship Album. So I bought it.
That day as I was listening to it. I told God and myself I could do this. So for the next seven years I only listened to and bought Christian music.
During this time I experienced the Lord’s love time and time again. The love I first felt in the summer of 2000.
- Unquenchable love. Making a lifelong pursuit of Jesus no longer optional.
- Tender love. Healing the scars incurred on life’s battlefields.
- Empowering love. Gracing me to forgive those who carved those scars on my soul. Including me.
- Encouraging love. Declaring my best days are yet to come.
Little did I know back in the fall of 2000 when I obeyed the Lord. He would use music to
- renew my mind and heal my soul.
- transform me into the image of His son— Jesus.
- comfort me after the death of my husband.
- enlarge my vision of the future.
- prepare the way for Christ’s imminent return.
Although I now listen to other music beside Christian, I am very selective. Knowing music’s power to destroy or create beauty in my life. Choosing to listen to only music that is life giving. Music like I Know You Can.
Be a VOICE in the deafening sound of sameness!