If a man is called to be a street sweeper, he should sweep streets even as a Michelangelo painted, or Beethoven composed music or Shakespeare wrote poetry. He should sweep streets so well that all the hosts of heaven and earth will pause to say, ‘Here lived a great street sweeper who did his job well.’ Martin Luther King Jr.
Unlike perfection which is identity driven, excellence is a character trait. A trait not influenced by others judgments or the circumstances of life.
What does excellence look like?
- There is always room for improvement in all phases of your life.
- Knowing transformation only occurs in the unknown. You boldly step out of your comfort zone. Undertaking tasks others think are difficult or impossible.
- Doing what you have never done before.
- Your behavior is an outward manifestation of internalized moral values.
- Authenticity and transparency are not optional.
- Empowering others by giving positive feedback and constructive criticism.
Positivity of Failure
- It is a valuable learning experience. Teaching something you never would have learned otherwise.
- Since it is not considered an indictment of your dreams or competency. Risk taking is considered fundamental for future success.
- Knowing everything is temporary and subject to change. You are able to maintain a positive attitude and enthusiasm in the midst of difficulties and change.
- Accomplishing what must be done today without worrying about what must be done tomorrow.
- Saying no to people or activities that are distracting.
- Clearly defining priorities.
- Overcoming obstacles.
- Staying the course until you cross the finish line.
- Never blaming others for your choices.
- Solving problems, not ignoring them or expecting others to solve them.
- Acting quickly to resolve problems.
- Clarifying boundaries and expectations.
- Thinking outside the box.
- Embracing change.
- Taking initiative when opportunities present themselves.
- An ongoing process of making choices that will contribute to inner peace and happiness.
- Never focusing on one thing at the detriment of something else.
In a culture that lusts for speed and quantity. Excellence is a growing anomaly. Which makes it all the more valuable. A treasure that is worthy of your pursuit.
Be a VOICE in the deafening sound of sameness.